Ayanna's Garden Cafe

This is all about my adventures in urban gardening. I'm branching out!

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Negligent Gardener

I was all excited two weeks ago, but so far, I have probably killed more plants in the past few weeks through neglect. I have been too busy and too tired to make good on any of my plans.

I have some initial growth, but some of the plants already show signs of distress. The snow peas have some mold on the soil, and the sunflowers have actually sprouted more seedlings than normal. The cilantro looks to be alright, but I waited 10 days before I watered the pepper seeds, and I still haven't watered the tomatoes or the last remaining snow pea seeds. I am not sure if they will survive.

And then there is the matter of my side yard and the massive soil erosion problem. I had everything cleared from that yard so that I could start over. The daffodils that have grown there have come up, but they are clearly distressed and are not as vibrant as usual. I need to build some beds and plant some other flowers there, but I may also need to plant a bush to absorb the rain water. It has become a muddy mess.

The peach tree is in bloom, and although I pruned it a little, I need to do some more cutting, and I may have waited too late for that. Our grass is growing, so I have to mentally prepare for the lawn mower and the mess Rick leaves behind when he uses it. In the back, the day lilies are growing in spite of my desire that they just wither and die (but I haven't actively tried to kill them yet, so maybe they are just hardy and resilient).

My yard is a mess and my container garden is getting off to a slow start. I swear I'll get it right this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home