Ayanna's Garden Cafe

This is all about my adventures in urban gardening. I'm branching out!

Monday, May 02, 2005

Finally, some progress!

I made some significant progress this past weekend. I finally got around to watering some of the seeds that I had planted but never got started back in March, so right about now I have two pepper plants and at least one tomato plant that survived the initial trauma of my neglect. My teddy bear sunflowers are outside on the front step so that I could make room for other seedlings. Also, sunflowers tend to be hardy plants that can take early exposure to the elements. As a matter of fact, I plan to start a few more for the back yard so that I can have a nice floral frame for the container garden that I have planned for the side.

I have several things to plant, and with so many seed packets awaiting attention, it is a matter of space and time. I really want to start my carrots and zucchini, but I need more soil. And I still need additional room in the sunroom for starting seeds. Oh, and I may need more containers because I don't know how reliable clay pots are for this type of gardening.

I got the first wall built on the side of the house with the able assistance of my brother. Actually, he is the one who built it, I was merely his supervisor, and he even mentioned that he could do the bulk of the work while I am away one evening. I may take him up on that offer. I don't have the patience for that type of tedious work--measuring, staking, digging, etc. The part I enjoyed the most was the brick stacking...although digging in the dirt was fun too.

I feel like a little kid. I want to get a little garden started at my parents' home, but my mother insists that she plans to have grass and flowers inside the fence where I want to garden. I say that she has had plenty of time to do something affirmative, and since she hasn't, my little tomato, pepper and zucchini plants are not that big a deal.

Anyway, I feel good about my work so far. Of course I got a late start because of laziness, but in fact, a few plants are doing ok inside the house. They got started in March, and so by mid-June or July, they should be in full summer bloom.

Still have the daylily problem, but one thing at a time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home