Ayanna's Garden Cafe

This is all about my adventures in urban gardening. I'm branching out!

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

A Lot of Growing Going On

I have to check, but it has not been an entire month since I last blogged because I know that I saw Bambi and his little brother in my back yard within the last two weeks. I need to finish editting that piece.

Anyway, I have other work to do, but of course, I chose to procrastinate. It is a reflection of my priorities, which I have now determined are directly proportional to the amount of money the work derives. The prospect of payment only causes me to delay, even though I am broke, busted and in desperate need of cash.

So I write about my garden woes, which are really bad this year. My peach tree has rotten peaches, which is a major setback. I had intended for this year's crop to be edible and flourishing based on the results from last year, but it was not to be. I think that I killed them by adding the blood meal to the mulch earlier this season. I guess my efforts to dissuade the squirrels worked because they are not eating the rotten peaches.

The weeds are worse than ever and I have no idea how to deal with them. I really want to call in a pro, because I can't spend all summer pulling at Sam, but that costs money and as I am broke, I am all I've got for now. The J's got her father to come over to landscape their yard, and I'm so jealous. He doesn't work in DC (how convenient), so I'll have to live with with the worst yard on the block for a fourth summer.

Then, by some odd twist of fate, the moles that dug up Mr. G's yard last year are wreaking havoc in my yard. There are swatches of dead grass and when you walk near to investigate, the ground caves in underneath, which must be the tunnels. What else can happen?

Well, the tomatoes and the peppers are growing. In spite of my neglect, they are doing well. I hadn't fertilized them, but when I went to move them out of the yard (and away from the mole), I noticed that each plant had born fruit. Of course, my worry is that when I go to eat them, the fruit will not taste as good as it did last year, but imagine that in spite of my bad gardening, I have something to look forward to later this summer.

Not bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home